- Boards & Commissions
- North Miami Youth Council
North Miami Youth Council
- 5:00 PM
- 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Council Chambers
776 NE 129 Street
North Miami, FL 33161
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
|Jimena Somoano||Mayor Desulme||10-11-2022||10-11-2023|
|Carly Sharmat||Councilman Galvin||10-11-2022||10-11-2023|
|Anna Paulino||Councilwoman Timothe||12-13-2022||12-15-2023|
|Angelina Fleurime||Vice Mayor Estimé-Irvin||10-11-2022||10-11-2023|
|Vacant||Vice Mayor Estimé-Irvin||N/A||N/A|
|Vacant||City Manager Rasha Cameau||N/A||N/A|
|Azareya Charlize Philossaint||City Clerk Vanessa Joseph||12/13/2022||12/13/2024|
|Hillary Stacy Alcenat||City Attorney Jeff Cazeau||12/13/2022||12/13/2024|
The purpose of the North Miami Youth Council is to provide young emerging leaders with a vehicle to learn about local government.
Youth Council members will represent and relay the needs of North Miami’s youth community, engage and advise the Mayor and City Council on matters affecting the youth as well as make recommendations to improve youth relations, activities and programs.
- Must be 15-18 years of age at the time of appointment
- Must be in the 10-12th grade
- Have a minimum of 2.0 GPA
- Must be a resident of North Miami
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in and the motivation to work for the community
- Provide a resume
- Must complete a full interview
- Answer the questions below: (200 words max)
- Why would you like to get involved?
- How do you plan to help?
- The Youth Council shall be composed of thirteen (13) youth who will serve as voting members of the Youth Council. Each City Councilmember shall appoint two (2) members of the Youth Council
- Appointees shall reside in the City of North Miami and be students in the 10th. 11th. or 12th grade. To be qualified for appointment. such student shall demonstrate a sincere interest and the motivation to work for the community and have a background in community-based activities.
- Each member of the City Council shall receive the names of high school students from public, private and parochial high school students in his or her district. Such high schools shall be requested to forward the names and resumes of interested students for appointment to the Youth Council. The Councilmember shall interview the nominated student and forward the name and the resume of the students appointed to the Youth Council to the City Manager's Office.
- The City Manager, the City Clerk, and the City Attorney shall each select a Miami-Dade Public School System student to be a non-voting member of the Youth Council. The Youth Council member selected by each official shall meet the qualifications set forth in subparagraph 2 above. Each of these officials shall receive the names of high school students from the Miami-Dade County School Board. Each official or his or her designee shall interview the nominated student and forward the name and the resume of the student appointed to the Youth Council to the City Manager's Office. These nonvoting members of the Youth Council shall be exposed to and given the opportunity to learn the role of the official who appointed them as non-voting members of the Youth Council.
- The term of office for each member shall be one (1) year. Members may be appointed for a subsequent one (1) year term; provided, that no member shall serve more than two (2) years as a member of the Youth Council.
- The Youth Council members shall annually elect a voting member as chairperson and other officers it deems necessary from its voting membership.
- The Youth Council shall adopt its own rules and regulations as may be necessary and appropriate to carry out its responsibilities, subject to the approval of the City Manager or his or her designee.
- The City Manager shall designate staff support sufficient to carry out the purposes of this ordinance and provide facilities for meetings and other activities, as necessary.
About the Board
The North Miami Youth Council was established by Ordinance 1449 on February 11, 2020. Listed in City Code of Ordinances Division 11, Sec.2-254.
For more information about the North Miami Youth Council visit our page at northmiamifl.gov/youthcouncil.