Downtown Revitalization Initiative
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
About the Initiative
In the Spring of 2012, the City retained Keith and Schnars, P.A, to develop architectural and urban design guidelines for its downtown and major corridor, NE 125 Street, which were subsequently adopted by Mayor and Council as the City’s Downtown Master Development and Major Corridor Plan. The final Master Plan includes a series of recommendations outlining strategies needed to spur redevelopment, promote economic growth and transform the physical image of the City’s Downtown District.
On November 25, 2014 the City adopted an Action Plan and Concept Plan for a portion of the Downtown District. The Action Plan will serve as a guide for prioritizing and budgeting for the implementation of the recommended strategies/capital projects over time. These projects will eventually be incorporated into the City’s Capital Improvement Plan in order to tie the recommended capital projects for the downtown to the City’s future Capital Program for the next 10 years. The Concept Plan includes architectural concepts and recommendation for civic space improvements that will serve as a vision for future development or improvements within the downtown.
The City has begun the implementation phase and is actively pursuing implementation strategies (PDF).
The action plan is the prioritization of implementation strategies. The plan includes steps needed to implement the recommendations of the adopted Master Plan for the Downtown Area. This includes an analysis of projected cost, for the capital improvement landscape architecture projects, specified in the adopted Master Plan and potential funding sources.
The concept plan does the following:
- Discuss “Re-Forming” NE 125th Street from NE 6th to NE 9th Avenues through massing and height alternatives
- Formulates a shared vision for a portion of downtown North Miami and work to graphically depict that vision
- Provide additional opportunities within or adjacent to the Civic Center Complex/ Museum of Contemporary Art Plaza
- Review and discuss potential improvements envisioned for Key Civic Spaces such as:
- 132nd and West Dixie Highway
- NE 125th walkway to Public Parking along NE 126th Street
- NE 6th Avenue/West Dixie Highway/125th Street intersection
- NE 8th Avenue “Way”
- West Dixie Highway from NE 125th Street to Griffing Park and, Fountain at NE
- Using forums to evaluate setbacks, crosswalks, outdoor dining opportunities and landscaping