Application Requirements

  1. Child Applicant (Minors Under 16)
  2. Ages 16 & 17 Applicants
  3. Adult Applicant (18 & Older)

When applying for a child's passport, under the age of 16 both parents must come in with the child if both are listed on the birth certificate.

What You Need to Apply for Minor's Passport

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
  2. Evidence of Parental Relationship
  3. Photo Identification
  4. Parental Consent
  5. Passport Photo
  6. Passport Fees

1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship

One of the following:

2. Evidence of Parental Relationship

One of the following:

  • Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents' names
  • Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents' names
  • Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names
  • Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names
  • Court Order establishing custody
  • Court Order establishing guardianship

3. Valid Photo ID - Identification of Parents

One of the following:

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid Driver's License
  • Current Government Employee ID (city, state or federal)
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents)
    (Photocopies of front and back)

4. Parental Consent

Minors under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian. If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application

5. One passport-Sized photo

  • In color
  • 2 inches by 2 inches in size