- Community Planning & Development
- Economic Development
- Filming in North Miami
Filming in North Miami
North Miami is known as a film, art and cuisine hub. North Miami has more than 70 businesses focused on music, video production and post-production, and each year dozens of film, video, and photography projects take place around the City. Major TV shows and movies such as Burn Notice, Graceland, Ballers, and the iconic classic series Miami Vice, have been filmed in North Miami. North Miami offers both pre-production and production incentives for projects that film and do business in the City.
Film Permit Submission Process
If all documents are submitted properly, film permits are usually issued within 1 to 3 business days!
City of North Miami Administrative Regulation 00-51 (PDF)
- Completed application form, which may be amended from time to time.
- Letter of intent indicating at a minimum the exact location of the filming, dates and hours of filming, maximum number of people at any one time to be on the property for the filming, description of purpose of filming and types of shots being filmed.
- Site plan clearly indicating staging and set-up areas, as well as location of parking for all vehicles, trailers, and equipment connected with the filming.
- Proof of public liability insurance in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 or as otherwise imposed by the City naming the City as an additional insured. (Note: Address for insurance purposes should be 776 NE 125 Street North Miami, FL 33161)
- Fee of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) will be submitted with an application for a major still photo, video or film permit for a maximum of two (2) consecutive days, and one hundred dollars ($100.00) for a minor still photo, video or film permit. If the still photo, video or film shoot is more than two (2) days, then, a fee of one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00) for a major still photo, video or film , and twenty five (25.00) dollars for a minor still photo, video or film for each additional day will apply upon approval of the permit.
- Secure signatures from abutting residential property owners that may be impacted by the filming. The applicant will be responsible to certify to the City that all property owners within the area designated as the impact area, have been notified of the filming (please see last page). Designation of the impact area will be at the discretion of the City Manager or his/her designee.
- Projects requiring the use of City facilities(i.e. parks, community centers, stadium, etc.) are required to sign a separate rental agreement with the department responsible for those facilities and pay required rental fees prior to the issuance of the film permit.
Permit Conditions & Requirements:
- The City will have at least three (3) days to review an application for a filming permit and may approve it with conditions or deny the request.
- The City Manager may at his/her discretion, with the intent of protecting public interest, safety and welfare impose conditions such as:
- Require the applicant to hire off-duty police officers to supervise and control traffic and other matters when the public rights-of-way are utilized for filming.
- Require the applicant to hire off-duty police officers to provide security and control of filming on private property.
- Limit filming in a residential location to no more than three (3) a year for projects of more than five (5) days.
- Limit filming in residential neighborhoods to the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Limit the number and location of vehicles, trailers, and equipment as depicted on the approved site plan submitted in order to minimize intrusive impacts on neighborhoods.
- Denial. The City Manager may deny a permit request if there is evidence that previous filming at the same location had a negative disruption of the neighborhood, or if on previous occasions the applicant violated conditions or restrictions of a film permit, or if the applicant previously failed to obtain a film permit. The City Manager reserves the right to revoke any film permit without cause or advance notice.
|Community Planning and Development Department||305-893-6511, ext. firstname.lastname@example.org|
The distinction between major and minor still, video or film project will be made by City staff.
|Major productions defined as:|
Crew size of 13 or more; or
Budget greater than $30,000
Fee for Major productions:
$250.00 for a maximum of two (2) days
$150.00 for each additional day
|Minor productions defined as:|
Crew size of 12 or less; or
Budget of $30,000 or less
Fee for Minor productions:
$100.00 for a maximum of two (2) days
$25.00 for each additional day
*Additional fees may vary by location*
- Film and Photo Permit Application (PDF)
- Extended Production Application (PDF) (If applicable)
- *Production Incentives (PDF)
- Consent Form (PDF) (Please be aware that this is a legally binding document and all requested adjustments must be stated clearly prior to acquisition of signatures. There will be no exceptions.
- City of North Miami Parks & Recreation Department Filming/Indemnification Agreement (PDF) (If applicable)
Parking / Base Camp
Any production to be filmed in the City that invests more than $20,000 in North Miami businesses, may be given free and/or reserved parking during production. Any production to be filmed in the City that invests more than $50,000 in North Miami business may be given free and/or reserved space to use as a “Base Camp” during production.
For productions with more than twelve crew members and a budget of more than $30,000, fees for use of City facilities such as parks, community centers, and other public locations may be waived. For productions with budgets over $100,000, administrative fees for hiring off-duty Police officers may be waived.
To obtain reimbursement, production companies must submit invoice(s) with a description of expenses including itemized receipts/paid invoices. See the Film Permit Submission Process section for details.
All financial incentives are subject to funding availability.
State of Florida Incentives
The State of Florida and Miami-Dade County offer additional incentives for film production.
- View Miami-Dade County incentives.
- View State of Florida sales tax exemption and transferable tax credit incentives.