How does it spread?
People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching theirs eyes, nose, or mouth.
Help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like COVID-19
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
The North Miami Division of Emergency Management is in close communication with State and Federal health officials and will share additional information as conditions warrant.
For more information on COVID-19, please visit the Center for the Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health.