Job Functions and Requirements
Essential Job Functions
- Enforces the laws and ordinances of the City and all other pertinent laws.
- Patrols an assigned area during a specific period on foot or in motorized police equipment.
- Checks doors and windows and examines premises of unoccupied buildings or residences in order to detect any suspicious conditions.
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints and make arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances.
- Accompanies prisoners to headquarters, jail, or court and appears in court as arresting officer.
- Testifies in court as required.
- Directs traffic and either arrests or issues citations to those who break traffic laws.
- Checks automobile parking in restricted areas and issues citations when necessary.
- Responds to fires or accidents in assigned area as directed, gives all possible assistance, and prepares necessary reports.
- Maintains order in crowds and attends parades, funerals, and other public gatherings.
- Searches for stolen cars and wanted or missing persons.
- Conducts investigations and enforces City and State laws pertaining to juvenile offenders.
- Answers criminal complaints and takes necessary corrective action.
- Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and general information to the public.
- Prepares comprehensive reports of activities for review of superior officers.
- Performs first aid and rescue duties.
- Must provide State of Florida Law Enforcement Certificate (original required at time of application).
- Minimum age: 21 (original documents required at time of application).
- Must be a U.S. citizen (original documents required at time of application).
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent (original required at time of application).
- Must possess a valid Florida driver's license, Class E or higher, and meet North Miami Police Department driving standards (original license required at time of application).
- Must be of good moral character.
- Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any branch of the U.S. armed service.
- Must have 20/30 vision or better (corrected or uncorrected).
- Must qualify on the Motor Skills/Physical Abilities Test at Broward College - Davie Campus- School of Criminal Justice, Miami Dade College - Criminal Justice Institute, or any FDLE-approved location offering this test. Test results must be within the last 6 months and original results are required at the time of application.
For more information, please contact the Human Resources & Career Development Unit at 305-899-2422; TTY line at 305-893-7936.