North Miami Educational Foundation (NMEFI)
The North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc. (NMEFI) was established in 2012 as a non-profit organization, through which scholarships would be made available to support high school graduates in their pursuit of post-secondary education. As part of its mission, NMEFI aims to make higher education and learning a reality for North Miami students in need of an opportunity to attend college.
Beginning in 2014, the North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc. has administered a scholarship program, the only one of its kind throughout Miami-Dade County that is available exclusively to North Miami residents. The initial funds for the scholarships were generated from the City's lease agreement with the developer, Oleta Partners, LLC.
In August 2012, the City entered into a 99-year lease agreement with Oleta Partners, LLC to convert a 183-plus acre site of undeveloped land, referred to as Biscayne Landing (now known as SoLé Mia), into a premiere project that will benefit North Miami's residents and businesses. The developer was contractually obligated to a community benefits package which included the provision of $750,000 to support the vision of the North Miami Educational Foundation, Inc.
Completed application forms with all attachments must be received at NMEFI's office by 5 pm, May 3, 2019. The application may be sent via email North Miami Educational Foundation, or via fax to 305-893-1367.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered and any changes to circumstances regarding your application must be notified by you to the NMEFI, immediately.
- Successful candidates must complete a re-application form each year if they choose to be considered for further financial support to complete their degree.
How to Apply for a NMEFI Scholarship
The process is paperless! Applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 305-893-1367.
- All email attachments or faxes must be correctly labeled with the applicant's name.
- Please note that attachments not labeled as requested above will be deleted and not registered.
Download the NMEFI Application (PDF)
Board of Directors
- Steven Moll, President
- Gepsie Metellus, Vice President
- Clark Reynolds, Treasurer
- Mary Estime-Irvin, Secretary
- Sophia Hall
- Larry Juriga
- Patrick Lacouty
- Arthur H. Sorey, III
- Miriam Stewart
To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a North Miami resident and secondary school graduate with a standard high school diploma within the past two years
- Earn a GPA of 2.75 or better from high school, or letter grade of "C" or better in college classes taken as a full-time student
- Demonstrate financial need after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Dedicated to pursue either a BA/BS or AA/AS degree in any field from an accredited institution, preferably in Florida or one of the affiliated local institutions:
- Barry University
- Florida International University (FIU)
- Johnson and Wales University
- Miami Dade College
- Applied for or accepted as a full-time student
- Provide proof of acceptance to a college or university
NMEFI awards scholarships only to applicants who are North Miami residents and are economically disadvantaged high school graduates; however, the scholarships will be awarded to the best applicants fitting the required criteria. Applicants must demonstrate financial need after completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Scholarship may cover tuition and fees and educational expenses up to the cost of attendance for college or a university. Applicants must state if they are seeking and/or have been granted awards from other organizations.
Students may receive one scholarship award per year divided into two allocations for two semesters/terms. The second allocation is contingent upon students earning a C or better grade for classes taken in the first semester/term. Thus, students must always demonstrate a strong commitment to learning and education in a field of his/her choice to pursue one of the following degrees:
- Associate in Art (AA)
- Associate In Science (AS)
- Bachelor in Art (BA)
- Bachelor in Science (BS)
The Scholarship is advertised by sending or posting information in the following venues:
- High Schools in and around North Miami
- Municipal TV Channel 77 (Comcast) and 99 (AT&T)
- North Miami Quality Education Advisory Board
- North Miami utility bills
- North Miami website