The Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation Program is designed to provide financial assistance to homeowners to address and repair items that compromise the life, health, and/or safety of the household.
The Program assists owner-occupied properties (single-family, duplex, condominium) by:
- Eliminating housing conditions which threaten the life, health or safety of the occupants;
- Correcting City Building Code violations;
- Eliminating conditions resulting in a home being severely energy inefficient.
Total household income must not exceed 80% of the Area Median Income (“AMI”) limits established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the participating jurisdiction. The applicable low-to-moderate income limits for determining program eligibility are published by HUD in the Federal Register and are updated annually.
Maximum Household Income Limits: 2022 through 2023
|Household Size||30% LMI|
Note Briefly: Income guidelines are updated by HUD annually (Income Limits effective 04-18-2022, Subject to change)
Residents who apply will be selected through a lottery process. Reasonable accommodations can be made for applicants with special needs who require assistance with the completion or submission of their application.
Applicants will be required to complete a City approved Home Maintenance Counseling course prior to the completion of project.
- Safety & Compliance upgrades
- Exterior Paint
- Sliding Glass Door
- Hurricane Shutters
- Energy Efficiency upgrades
* Work not eligible for program funding includes, but is not limited to, luxury/cosmetic improvements, additions, conversions (basement, garage, porch, attic, etc.), repairs to structures separate from the living units (detached garage, shed, etc.), furnishings, pools and landscaping. All rehabilitation work shall be performed by a City approved Contractor.
Form of Financial Assistance
Assistance is in the form of a deferred zero percent interest forgivable loan, up to the amount approved per grant fund program. The loan is forgivable throughout the life of the affordability period, from the date of execution of security documents provided that the title remains under the ownership of the owner(s) and the property remains their primary residence. Assistance Amount Occupancy / Affordability Period**
In order to be considered to receive assistance the homeowner and the property must meet the following conditions:
- Property must be substandard and in poor condition.
- Property must be located within the City of North Miami.
- Property must be single-family, duplex or condominium and entirely used for residential purposes, with the unit occupied by the applicant.
- Property must not be bank owned.
- Applicant’s property tax obligation must be current at the time of application to the program.
- Property must be homestead.
- Property must conform to all city, zoning and land use requirements regarding use.
*Registration opens yearly
Applications are available from October 1st to October 31st
Monday Through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Pick-up a copy of the application in-person:
Monday thru Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Housing & Social Services Department
12300 NE 8 Avenue
North Miami, FL 33161
Completed applications are accepted by appointment only until Monday, October 31, 2022.
Apply to Receive up to $50,000 in Home Repairs
Registration Period: October 1 - 31, 2022
- Program Guidelines (PDF)
- Application (PDF) (One per household) (PDF)
- Each Household Member (PDF) (Over 18 years)
For more information or to make an appointment, contact the City of North Miami Housing and Social Services Department at 305-893-6511 ext. 20000 or via email at email@example.com.
Residents who apply and pre-qualify will be selected through a lottery drawing process. Attendance is not required for lottery participants. The lottery presentation will be streamed live. Lottery date to be announced.