STATUS UPDATE ON TROPICAL STORM ISAAC – Advisory #3
North Miami, FL – 8/26/2012
1:00 p.m. – The City of North Miami would like to inform the public of the
following in preparation the effects of Tropical Storm Isaac. Residents are
advised to stay indoors and limit travel to only what is necessary today and
General Information and Assistance:
- The City of North Miami has activated its Emergency
Operation Center (EOC). To reach the North Miami EOC to report a
city-related urgent matter or for additional questions, please call the City
Hall main line at 305-893-6511. The North Miami EOC
switchboard will remain open until 6 p.m. today and beginning at 8 a.m.
- In the event of a life-threatening emergency, dial 9-1-1
- Status updates on city operations will also be made available
305-891-INFO (305-891-4636). This line is a recorded message available 24
- Miami-Dade County has called for the evacuation of mobile
homes, low lying areas, and unsafe structures. Three shelters are open. The
closest to our City is:
Dr. Michael Krop Senior High
School, 1410 NE 215th street (This is the only pet-friendly
shelter open in the County.)
- Basic wind storm preparations should have already been made.
Such preparations include:
- Secure all loose objects indoors.
- Construction materials are to be secured by guying and shuring.
- Sheds must be tied down.
- DO NOT TRIM TREES. Tree trimmings can become dangerous
projectiles and the North Miami Public Works Department will not have the time
or resources to schedule additional garbage or trash pick-ups throughout the
- Residents living near catch basins/stormwater drains are strongly encouraged
to clear them of leaves and other debris (weather permitting.)
- Sand bags (maximum of 5 per household) are available for North Miami
residents only at the North Miami Motor Pool, 1855 NE 142 Street
until 4 p.m. today.
Closures/Services for Monday, August 27,
- All City of North Miami offices (including City Hall),
parks, the North Miami Public Library, the Museum of Contemporary Art are
Monday, August 27, 2012.
- North Miami essential personnel are to report to work
on Monday, August 27th by 8 a.m.
- Sanitation service for North Miami: Garbage pickup will remain as
scheduled (unless sustained winds reach 40 mph).
There will be no bulk pick up
Do not place bulk items out until your
next regularly scheduled bulk service date.
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools are closed on Monday, August
- Miami-Dade County offices, parks, libraries and other
facilities and services are closed on Monday, August 27, 2012. For a complete
list of closures, visit www.miamidade.gov/emergency.
North Miami Residents should stay tuned to local television
media and radio advisories.
Further details on hurricane preparedness can be found by
calling Miami-Dade County at 3-1-1 or visit miamidade.gov/hurricane or miamidade.gov/emergency.