Code Compliance Department - Frequently Asked Questions


Residential Properties
  1. How can I check if there is a lien on my property?
    Contact our city’s Lien Clerk at 305.895.9880, ext. 12210
  2. How can I check for “open” violations on my property?
    Call our office at 305.895.9832 during our normal office hours.
  3. When am I allowed to water my grass?
    Under the current water restrictions,  watering is not allowed between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Residents with odd numbered address may water their lawns on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 12:00 a.m. -10:00 a.m. and 4:00 pm - 11:59 p.m.;  Residents with even numbered address may water their lawns on Thursdays and Sundays from 12:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 11:59 p.m. For more information, visit or call the water conservation hotline at 1.800.662.8876.
  4. When is my grass considered overgrown?
    Your grass is considered overgrown when it is over 12 inches tall.
  5. How early can I place my trash out?
    24 hours before your scheduled pick date.
Commercial Properties
  1. Where can I place my sign?
    Signs can only be placed on private property. No signs are permitted in the swale area. The swale area is from one property line to the next property line and/or roadway edge.
  2. How much is a banner application?
    There is a small permit fee; for the current fee, please check with the Building and Zoning Department at 305.895.9820.
  3. Where can I place my banner?
    Anywhere that the Land Development Regulations permit.
  4. Do I need a Business Tax Receipt to operate a business within the City?
    Yes. You must apply at the Office of the City Clerk at City Hall, 1st floor.
Re-Occupancy Certificate
  1. What is the purpose of the Re-Occupancy Inspection?
    To ensure that residential structures remain in their permitted use and design.
  2. Who is responsible for arranging for and paying for a Re-Occupancy Inspection?
    The Seller.
  3. Can the Certificate of Re-Occupancy be used if there is a change in the buyer?
    No. Each inspection and Certificate is issued on a transaction basis and is unique to the Buyer and Seller. A new Buyer will require re-inspection of the property, a new Disclosure Statement, and the applicable re-inspection fee.
  4. After a Certificate of Re-Occupancy is issued, is it good forever?
    No. It is only valid for the parties on the Certificate. A new sale or conveyance of the property requires a new Re-Occupancy Inspection and Certificate.
  5. Who do I contact to request a Re-Occupancy Inspection?
    Contact Gary Beswick in Building and Zoning Department at 305.895.9820.
Building Re-Certification
  1. Who is required to submit a building recertification report?
    Property owners whose buildings are 40-years or older must submit the required report and fee to the City of North Miami.
  2. When is the report due?
    Both the structural and electrical reports are due within 60 days from receipt of the initial notice that the report and fee is due.
  3. Who does the structural and electrical reports?
    The property owner must hire a Florida licensed architect or engineer of their choice to do the inspection and prepare the building re-certification report.
  4. How much does the City of North Miami charge for the recertification fee?
    The fee is $357.00, payable to the City of North Miami, and must be paid at the time that the recertification report is submitted to the city for review. If the report is late, there is an additional $350.00 late fee.
  5. Who do I contact if I have a question about building recertification?
    Contact Gary Beswick in our Building and Zoning Department at 305. 895.9820.
Top to the pageTop

City of North Miami | 776 NE 125 Street | North Miami | Florida 33161 | 305.893.6511